Thursday, November 6, 2014

The search for a new brain

This week has been an exciting eek for me in the lab. I have successfully created a microtome! Ok, it is a very archaic design, but functional nonetheless. I used a 20 cc syringe, a brass corer (size 7), and a blade from a box cutter. The tip of the syringe was removed using a box cutter. After much measurement I realized that the diameter thickness that I wish to acieve just happens to be the distance between the cc markings on the syringe. Matt Hill used a saw to create an opening for my blade. the brain is cored and placed into the syringe. a smaller corer is used to plunge the brain down the syringe until it is pressed against the blade resting in its position within the cut in the syringe. when the blade is released the brain is moved ever so slowly forward and the blade slices through it. This little device has created some adequate samples for staining (using crystal violet) so I am very happy with it. However,  the lego microtome is still in the process of being built (thanks to Matt Hill) but is not quite finished yet.  The first brain that I sectioned was chosen due to the presence of a hematoma on the frontal lobe and a decreased frontal lobe size. This brain contained proteins when stained and viewed under the microscope. However, frozen brain tissue is much easier to cut so I placed it in the -80 degree freezer so that it would be super frozen. Well, when I applied the pressure to it in order to core it...it exploded into pieces which flew all over the bench and floor. although impressive it was really unpleasant to clean up (it defrosts quickly in such small pieces.) Now brainless, I picked another brain randomly from the bucket. after getting a sample under the microscope I quickly realized that it did not contain the proteins that I was looking for. I chose another brain randomly and again obtained negative results. I began searching the buckets for a third brain vowing to be picky this time to find one that shared the same characteristics as the first brain. I found the perfect specimen at the bottom of the bucket. Unfortunately I ended up dipping my leather banded watch in the process of retrieving it, which my fellow STEMmer Jeremy found extremely entertaining. This brain is positive for proteins. I am not sure if this is coincidence or not but it is defiantly interesting.

Beta amyloid present in brain tissue.




http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAYQjB0&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.scbt.com%2Fdatasheet-53822-beta-amyloid-20-1-antibody.html&ei=Kk9cVNP1MY72iQLCn4G4AQ&bvm=bv.79189006,d.cGE&psig=AFQjCNGoJW91fjtiLzgLVGozUWqAPsl6bA&ust=1415422087904595

No comments:

Post a Comment