Thursday, March 5, 2015

Save The Fish!



FISH:
I decided to save the fish! I was sad to hear that nobody picked up Jenni's aquaponics project from last semester. I decided to take it on because they are the friendliest fish that I have ever seen. The water was really low and the plants were not looking very healthy. The pH is around 8 which is not healthy for the fish or the plants. The plants are happy with a pH around 7.5 and the fish will die at a pH of about 6.5 so pH 7 seems to be the happy number. I added water and waited 3 days to see if the pH would lower. It did not. Adding more fish (ammonium) will lower the pH but I was not sure how many fish to add. A second tank was set up to become a spare fish home. If it gets too acidic in the aquaponic tank they will have a safe place to go. 5 new fish were purchased and added to the spare tank. After acclimating, 2 of these fish were added to the aquaponic tank. Hopefully this will bring optimal pH to all of my new friends.





2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Instead of adding water, have you considered replacing 30 - 50% of the water you currently have in your tank with fresh water? You may also try lowering the level of oxygen or increasing the level of carbon dioxide.

    ReplyDelete