Monday, April 13, 2015

Update on blood, protein, algal infection, and fish

Blood: A protocol has been created and now I am waiting on primers. I collected blood, scalp hair, eyebrow hair, fingernail, and spit from myself, my daughter, and a friend that wishes to remain anonymous. we will call him Mr. XY. I will need to extract the DNA from these samples and then run a gel to see if DNA is present. Hopefully there will be a significant amount and I can proceed to PCR amplification.

Protein: I loaded a duplicate PAGE gel to the one that contains bands with 2 different biomarkers. Lane 8 contains 5uL Biorad Precision Plus Protein Dual Xtra Standards. This will measure proteins that range from 250kDa to 2 kDa.
Lane 1 contain 5uL of Fisher Bio Reagent. This measure proteins that range from 116 kDa to 14.4 kDa.
Running buffer was prepared with 100 mL 10x tris/glycerine/SDS buffer to 100 mL DIH2O. Gel ran at 140 volts for 1 hour and 30 minutes. 
Neither biomarker banded. I am not sure why but there could be many explanations. Possibilities include improper technique or equipment malfunction. I will research protocols and try again.

Algla infection: I was curious as to whether the bacteria that killed the algae is harmful to fish. If it is not, then it could possibly be used to eradicate unwanted algal growth from fish tanks. Two feeder fish were purchased from a local fish store and placed in a bowl containing 60 mL of contaminated algal water and 1 L of DIH2O. The bacteria are present. They are cocci, gram positive with a spikey appearance. As this bacteria matures the spikes grow into fimbrae that detach and float in the water. I took a 20 mL sample of water and introduced 2 antibiotic discs (penicillin and clindimycin) to see if the bacteria were affected. 48 hours later there were no bacteria present and the fish seem to be happy. Antibiotic discs were added to the infected water. After 6 days I came into the lab to see new algae growing in the once infected tank.

Fish: The plants have matured and the roots are growing through the holes in the bottom of the container and into the water. I placed the new plants into the tank and the fish immediately started nibbling. The pH is still steady at 8. Josh suggested removing half of the water and replacing it with DIH2O. I will do this next week. Two more fish were added to the tank in hopes that their excrement will lower pH.











No comments:

Post a Comment