Follow by Email

Monday, April 13, 2015

Update

Blood: I performed the DNA extraction on all samples and will run horizontal agarose gel to see if there is a significant enough amount to warrant PCR amplification.

Algae: I helped Tony harvest his algal growth. Algal water was collected into falvon tubes and centrifuged. The supernatant was drained and the algal sediment was collected using a micrpippette and deposited into a metal pan. The pan was placed in an oven set at 70 degrees F for 45 minutes. Dried algae was scraped out of pan and collected in a beaker. The dried algal powder was ground using mortar and pestal (to make sure the cell walls were broken) and added to DIH2O a 30 cc syringe was used to remove water from beaker and inverted for 48 hours. The syringe shows 2 phases, a water phase and an oil phase. Oil extraction complete. The fish are still alive and happy and were added to the aquaponics fish family.

Protein: I began a new protein extraction and will run PAGE gels as soon as I read a couple more protocols. This week has been really busy with papers to write and exams in Calc and Chem.

Fish: The aquaponic fish are still quite happy with their salad bar root buffet and the addition of the algae fish. Half of the water was removed and replaced with DIH2O. I will check the pH when I return to lab next week. The fish have eaten almost all of the roots so I am going to grow more in the other tank.  I noticed that there were a couple of plants that had roots stuck in the holes. I thought I would be helpful and pull the roots through. I grabbed a container out of the tank and it slipped out of my hand. I spent the next 30 minutes cleaning it up. No plants were harmed in the making of this blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment